The MD Transportation Authority (MDTA) offers the following travel tips for the fall season:
GAME PLAN for your travels.
- Follow the MDTA at twitter.com/TheMDTA and facebook.com/TheMDTA.
- Ease your travel with E-ZPass. Visit ezpassmd.com to enroll on-line and for a list of E-ZPass “On the Go” retail locations.
- Visit baybridge.com to view traffic cameras and to sign up for email alerts.
- Call 1-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726) for 24/7 Bay Bridge traffic conditions.
- Know Before You Go - call 511 or visit MD511.org for statewide travel information. To view traffic cameras on MDTA roadways, click on the Traffic Cameras.
- For all toll rates, use our online Toll Rate Calculator.
- Consider the Intercounty Connector (ICC)/MD 200 in getting to BWI Airport.
For your safety and the safety of other motorists and emergency personnel:
· Devote your full attention to driving – it is illegal to text and use hand-held cell phones while driving in Maryland.
· Law requires that every passenger in a moving vehicle be secured with a seat belt or child safety restraint.
· Do not change lanes while traveling over bridges and through tunnels.
· Pay attention to lane markings and rumble strips on the Bay Bridge westbound span. Lane changes between the westbound left and center lanes are prohibited for the entire span, whether or not two-way operations are in effect.
· Obey posted speed limits and overhead lane-control signals.
· Keep a safe following distance to avoid rear-end collisions.
· Keep your eyes on the road – do not sight-see.
· Make sure your vehicle is “road ready.”
· If your vehicle becomes disabled, remain inside and call #77 for assistance.
· Move-over when passing an emergency situation. If you are unable to move over, slow down.
· When driving in fog, motorists should use low beam headlights since the high beam setting creates glare and reduces visibility.
· Watch for patches of wet leaves on the road. Once leaves become wet, they can present slippery & dangerous driving conditions.
· The risk of deer/vehicle collisions is greatest during autumn and early winter. Two-thirds of these crashes occur in October, November and December. Stay alert.
Please use caution, reduce speeds and increase following distances when traveling on wet roads. Turn on your lights to increase your visibility.
On all MDTA bridges, wind warnings and restrictions would be implemented as outlined below:
- Wind Warning (sustained wind speeds or wind gusts of 30-39 mph) operators of house trailers, box trailers, motorcycles, vehicles with roof-mount racks containing cargo or any other vehicle that may be subject to high winds are advised to use caution while traveling across the bridge.
- Wind Restriction I (sustained wind speeds or wind gusts of 40-49 mph) house trailers, empty box trailers or any vehicle that, in the opinion of law-enforcement personnel, may not safely cross the bridge will be prohibited from traveling the bridge. Motorists who are denied passage will be assisted with safely turning around.
- Wind Restriction II (sustained wind speeds or wind gusts exceeding 50 mph) only automobiles, pickup trucks, flatbed trailers, commercial buses and heavy-laden tractor/trailers are permitted to cross the bridge. Tractor-box trailer combinations will not be permitted to cross any bridge if the gross weight is less than 64,000 pounds.
- Traffic Holds/Bridge Closure (sustained wind speeds or wind gusts exceeding 55 mph) In the event of a sudden increase of sustained wind speeds or wind gusts that could jeopardize life or property, the MDTA may elect to discontinue the movement of traffic across the bridge.
Timeline for Travel Plaza Redevelopment:
· Winter 2014: Maryland House reopens for service; Chesapeake House closes for reconstruction.
· Fall 2014: Chesapeake House reopens for service.
The MDTA thanks motorists for their patience.