The MD Transportation Authority's (MDTA) preservation project continues on the Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge (US 301) across the Potomac River. The ongoing project includes cleaning, painting and repair work that began earlier this spring.
The Nice Bridge will be reduced to one lane with flagging operations alternating northbound and southbound traffic during the following off-peak hours:
- Sunday, June 2 through Thursday, June 6 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
- Starting Tuesday, June 4 daytime flagging operations will take place Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for approximately three weeks until ladders and scaffolding can be removed from the bridge.
- Starting Saturday, June 8, overnight work will shift to a Saturday through Thursday schedule with Saturday hours from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning and Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
Trucks greater than 10-feet wide will not be permitted to cross the bridge during flagging operations. Every effort will be made to cross all vehicles exceeding 10-feet from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Drivers of vehicles exceeding the width restriction must call 301-259-4444 to obtain approval and schedule an escort. Calls must be made one hour prior to arrival at the bridge and will only be accepted between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
When traveling through work zones:
· Slow Down Obey posted speed limits.
· Be Courteous Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you.
· Pay Attention to Work Zone Signs, Equipment and Flaggers They help drivers move safely.
· Avoid Distracted Driving Devote your full attention to the road.
Remember to follow the MDTA at twitter.com/TheMDTA and facebook.com/TheMDTA for the latest updates.
Know Before You Go - call 511 or visit MD511.org.
Stay Alert So No One Gets Hurt!