For statewide travel information, including travel times, incident or work lane closures on State maintained roadways, weather reports and connections to transit, airport and tourism information.
- Follow TheMDTA on Facebook and Twitter
- Emergency Alerts Blog with RSS Feed (New)
- I-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726)
- For CHART traffic conditions statewide
- For CHART winter storm information statewide
- For Maryland 511 Travelers Information
Wind Warnings and Restrictions
- Wind Warning
- Sustained wind speeds or wind gusts of 30-39 mph
When wind warnings are in effect, operators of house trailers, box trailers, motorcycles, vehicles with roof-mount racks containing cargo or any other vehicle that may be subject to high winds are advised to use caution while traveling across the bridge.
- Wind Restriction I
- Sustained wind speeds or wind gusts of 40-49 mph
When wind restrictions are implemented, house trailers, empty box trailers or any vehicle that, in the opinion of law-enforcement personnel, may not safely cross the bridge will be prohibited from traveling the bridge. Motorists who are denied passage will be assisted with safely turning around.
- Wind Restriction II
- Sustained wind speeds or wind gusts exceeding 50 mph
Only automobiles, pickup trucks, flatbed trailers, commercial buses and heavy-laden tractor/trailers are permitted to cross the bridge. Tractor-box trailer combinations will not be permitted to cross any bridge if the gross weight is less than 64,000 pounds.
- Traffic Holds/Bridge Closure
- Sustained wind speeds or wind gusts exceeding 55 mph
In the event of a sudden increase of sustained wind speeds or wind gusts that could jeopardize life or property, the MDTA may elect to discontinue the movement of traffic across the bridge.